Re: F25 workstation, and (almost) hidpi displays

On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 15:18 -0700, Thomas Daede wrote:
> > 13" 1080p laptops are the biggest exception to this that I can think
> > of. I dunno what you do with them on Windows; I think Windows has a
> > slider somewhere which more or less works like the 'scaling factor'
> > setting.
>
> Yes, Windows also has a scaling factor, but it behaves more like the
> Firefox one - it supports non-integer scales. Applications that don't
> signal support for it are scaled by the compositor.

Well, I went and looked it up a bit, and it may support non-integer
scaling, but it's still fairly coarse: it goes in 25% increments. Text
scaling can be done pretty much as fine as you like (the GNOME and
Firefox text scaling factors will accept pretty much any decimal you
put in).

It's only the hidpi-type scaling that is integer-only on GNOME. Simple
text scaling predates hidpi support by years.

> Mac hardware seems to have settled into choosing display densities where
> integer scaling makes sense, though on PC there is more variety,
> probably due to Windows supporting it.
>
> There was a lot of kerfuffle around the GTK (and Wayland) decision to
> only support integer scales, searching for it will give you some background.

I don't recall that...do you have any specific references? At the time
hidpi was first added to GNOME, IIRC, only OS X was really doing it,
and it only did it in integers (because, as you say, they just make
sure that's all the hardware they ship needs).

Still, now I got curious and looked it up, it's a bit difficult to
interpret Windows' history here. I can at least tell that Windows 7 and
8 had 100%, 125% and 150% scaling settings, and 8.1 and 10 have up to
200% and per-display scaling, but I haven't found any references as to
exactly how this is implemented for each release - whether it's really
interface scaling, complete with high-resolution interface assets in
the OS so the scaled display actually looks sharp, or if it's just text
scaling like GNOME's 'text scaling factor'...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey