Re: Installation validation test change proposal: merge USB tests into 'default boot and install', add more environment columns

On Sat, 2016-10-08 at 14:50 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > to summarize the changes - we improve the test case's wording to give
> > explicit instructions for all three media types we care about (virtual
> > disc attached to a VM, real optical disc in a real machine, real USB
> > stick in a real machine), we ditch the USB test matrices entirely, and
> > we give the 'Default boot and install' tables extra result columns so
> > they can now reflect results for VM, CD/DVD and USB testing (for BIOS
> > and UEFI in all three cases, for x86_64).
>

> You can actually test in a VM both as a virtual CD/DVD:
>
> -cdrom file
>   Use file as CD-ROM image (you cannot use -hdc and -cdrom at the same
>   time). You can use the host CD-ROM by using /dev/cdrom as filename.
>
> and as a virtual USB:
>
> -usbdevice devname
>   Add the USB device devname.
>
>   disk:[format=format]:file
>     Mass storage device based on file. The optional format argument will be
>     used rather than detecting the format. Can be used to specifiy
>     "format=raw" to avoid interpreting an untrusted format header.
>
> (The quotes are from the qemu manpage.)
>
> It is not a replacement for testing on real hardware, but it could catch at
> least some of the differences.

Yeah, I know, I've been meaning to add an openQA test that does the
latter but not really got around to it. It didn't seem worth adding an
extra result column pair for 'virt USB' (vs 'virt CD') though...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey