Re: Installation validation test change proposal: merge USB tests into 'default boot and install', add more environment columns

Adam Williamson wrote:
> to summarize the changes - we improve the test case's wording to give
> explicit instructions for all three media types we care about (virtual
> disc attached to a VM, real optical disc in a real machine, real USB
> stick in a real machine), we ditch the USB test matrices entirely, and
> we give the 'Default boot and install' tables extra result columns so
> they can now reflect results for VM, CD/DVD and USB testing (for BIOS
> and UEFI in all three cases, for x86_64).

You can actually test in a VM both as a virtual CD/DVD:

-cdrom file
  Use file as CD-ROM image (you cannot use -hdc and -cdrom at the same
  time). You can use the host CD-ROM by using /dev/cdrom as filename.

and as a virtual USB:

-usbdevice devname
  Add the USB device devname.

  disk:[format=format]:file
    Mass storage device based on file. The optional format argument will be
    used rather than detecting the format. Can be used to specifiy
    "format=raw" to avoid interpreting an untrusted format header.

(The quotes are from the qemu manpage.)

It is not a replacement for testing on real hardware, but it could catch at
least some of the differences.

        Kevin Kofler