Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On 10/06/2016 05:45 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 20:38 -0700, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

I don't understand how you arrive at this conclusion. dnf is sitting
on the top of a house of cards when it's running in Terminal. If
anything below it dies, dnf dies and by extension so is rpm. Could dnf
be put into it's own session or scope (whatever it's called), and
would that prevent it from dying if the whole GUI died?

Yes.  dnf would prepare the transaction, solve dependencies, etc, and
then kick off a service to do the actual work.  The service would pipe
the progress state and such back to the client.

FWIW, someone told me today (in rather colorful terms) that apt-get is
designed exactly this way. It survives the death of its controlling
terminal (and, allegedly - again, I don't know this from personal
experience - has decent support for completing failed transactions if
the apt-get process itself crashes).

apt-get and dpkg cannot survive arbitrary crashes, but in general, the combination will rerun the equivalent of %preinst and %postinst scripts, to make sure that all installed packages are in a properly configured state.

It also intercepts ^C, so that you don't end up with an inconsistent package database simply because the administrator hit ^C in the wrong terminal.

Florian