Re: RFC: Storing Automated Tasks/Tests In Dist-Git

On 2016-10-05, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Right, or more - it would be fine to have testsuite `make install`able
> (automatically by Automake e.g.).  Then anybody could create 'foo-test'
> package and than end-users could do the testing themselves too,
> transparently - the same way as taskotron would.

The assumption about support by the build system is crucial.

We had/have few macros in Perl for building test subpackages, but it was
terrible. The reason was no support in the build system and thus in the
upstream. Therefore the tests had tendency to run fine at build-time
(sources and binaries in local directory available) but terribly after
installation (tests expected files out of source test subdirectory). And
upstream was usually hostile against our fixes because there was not use
case for the upstream.

-- Petr