Re: [Guidelines change] Changes to the packaging guidelines

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:27:44 PM CEST Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Andrea Musuruane <musuruan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Here are the recent changes to the packaging guidelines.
> >>
> >> -----
> >>
> >> The Filesystem Layout section of the guidelines was simplified and
> >> outdated information was removed.
> >>
> >> * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
> >> * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Filesystem_Layout
> >> * https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/623
> >

> > The links to FHS specs are all outdated. The current one is
> > https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/lsb/fhs
> >
> > Moreover I still read "The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard does not include
> > any provision for libexecdir, " which is not accurate:
> > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s07.html
>
> I still read the same issues. The page is protected and it cannot be
> freely edited.

FWIW, I don't think the FHS has been fixed correctly WRT libexecdir, even
though it points to GNU Coding Standards (which is equivalent to how Fedora
interprets libexec):

FHS [1] says:

  /usr/libexec includes internal binaries that are not intended to be
  executed directly by users or shell scripts. ...

.. why there is the part ".. or shell scripts?".  How a shell script differs
from other (binary) programs?

GNU standards [2] say "The directory for installing executable
programs to be run by other programs rather than by users.".

[1] http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s07.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html

Pavel