Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 22:15 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 04/10/16 22:04, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > We've pretty much pinned it down, now. The recipe is: hybrid graphics +
> > systemd-udev update == X crash. That is, if there's a systemd-udev
> > update in the dnf transaction, and the system has hybrid graphics, and
> > X is running while the update runs, X will crash. If you're running the
> > update in a VT, X will crash but the update will complete OK. If you
> > run the update inside X, the update process will die when X crashes and
> > your system will be left messed up.
>

> My machine at work where this happens isn't hybrid. It has three
> monitors spread over two Nvidia cards though, driven by nouveau rather
> than the proprietary drivers.

OK, so probably strictly speaking this is triggered by having multiple
adapters. 'Hybrid graphics' is by far the most common case of that
these days, though. Thanks for the note, I'll revise my blog post (that
I'm writing ATM).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey