Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On 04/10/16 16:51, Adam Williamson wrote:

Recently several reports of people getting 'duplicated packages' and
'kernel updates not working' have come through to us in QA from Fedora
24 users. I managed to get one reporter to explain more specifically
what happened, and it sounds a lot like what's happening is that
something in the 'dnf update' process can cause a GNOME or X crash,
possibly depending on hardware or package set installed. When that
happens, the update process is killed and does not complete cleanly,
which is why you get 'duplicated packages' and other odd results.

I had it happen this morning in fact.

When it happens X crashes and you're left with duplicate package entries that a distro-sync will normally fix though this morning was a bit more fun because systemd was included and the distro-sync didn't want to remove the duplicate.

It only ever happens on one of my machines, so it's obviously something about the environment, possibly the graphics card as that's the only machine I do this on that has nvidia graphics?

The weird thing is that there was nothing particularly X related in the update that caused it this morning. In fact systemd was probably about the most low level thing that was in the update.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/