Re: /sbin/nologin in /etc/shells

On 3 October 2016 at 16:53, Toby Goodwin <toby@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was just reviewing this thread to date, and came across somebody asking:
>
>> How is this a "critical...security hole"?
>
> I'm wondering if perhaps some of the staunch defenders of the status quo
> have missed the security hole?

Why do people have to think that people are being 'stauch defenders'
when they might just needed a clearer explanation? I know you
mentioned chsh in your original email but even after rereading it, I
am not able to make the leap from it to what you show below. What you
show below is clearly a security problem for multi-user systems
(though I expect that there would be arguments that you are not
supposed to use chsh /sbin/nologin to lock someone out but usermod
-L).

The owner of the setup package is Ondrej Vasik, email:
ovasik@xxxxxxxxxx. They seem fairly active and would probably be
receptive to fixing the problem with the explanation included.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Staunch Defender of the Status Quo. Grognard of the First Order