Re: /sbin/nologin in /etc/shells

On 29 September 2016 at 04:54, Toby Goodwin <toby@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>nologin is listed in /etc/shells since 2002 [1].
>
> This seems like a extraordinary mistake, and I agree with Jonathan
> Kamens' comment on the original ticket [1]. I note that his concerns
> were never adequately answered; the only response was a hand-wavy "well
> we did it and it doesn't seem to have broken".

One of the reasons for it to be in /etc/shells was that various audit
systems failed an OS if it wasn't. [Various government and bank
security audit tools have rules like
https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/vmware_esxi_v5/2013-01-15/finding/GEN002140-ESXI5-000046
] The second reason was that outside scripts would fail because chsh
was giving an 'error' that nologin was not there.

While it can be argued that these are problems with other parties what
was happening is that they haven't been fixed in multiple years and
everyone who had to have anything from a PCI to a .gov audit had to go
put this in the file already. This basically then becomes a "do you
need to manually add this on the system? [Y/N]" purchase checkmark for
banks, credit card processors, government contractors.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.