Re: RFC: Storing Automated Tasks/Tests In Dist-Git

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 21:11:58 +0100
"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 01:50:33PM -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> > One of the features for Taskotron that we've been planning since the
> > beginning was a way for contributors to maintain their own automated
> > tasks/tests which would be run during a package's lifecycle.
> >
> > I'm happy to say that we're almost to this milestone and wanted to
> > get some feedback from devel@ on the specifics of what we're
> > planning WRT where these automated tasks will be stored and the
> > execution modes that we're planning to support. Our current plan is
> > written up at:
> >
> > https://phab.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/w/taskotron/new_distgit_task_storage_proposal/
> >
> > The hope is that by making it easier for contributors to write
> > automated tasks and making the model completely self-service and
> > convention drive, there will be a lot more automated checks for
> > packages than we currently have for Fedora.
> >
> > Please read through the wiki page I mentioned above and give us
> > feedback on whether what we're planning to implement is going to be
> > useful or if there are areas of the plan which could be improved.
>
> As someone who requested this feature in the past, it looks fine
> to me.
>
> However the page is a bit thin on actual details.  For example, where
> will the tests run?  (eg. In a VM?)  Does it have access to the built
> RPMs?  Are the built RPMs installed?

The tests will run in a VM which is spun up specifically for the tests
being run and will be destroyed after the tests have been completed.
The Fedora version running in that VM will reflect the applicable
version when possible (eg the release from koji builds).

The tests will have access to the built RPMs.

The built RPMs will not be installed prior to the tests starting.

That being said, most of that is up for some discussion if folks have
different/better ideas. We're anticipating anticipate change requests
to make the whole system once folks start using the system more.

There is documentation available for writing tasks [1] but there is
also an option of forgoing the detailed task specification if you have
an executable script which adheres to conventions listed in the wiki
page.

Tim

[1]https://qa.stg.fedoraproject.org/docs/libtaskotron/latest/writingtasks.html

This link point does point to a stg system - we're in the middle of some
changes to how our docs are built and most changes haven't made it to
production yet - this is a more reliable link for the moment and is
updated as new releases are made.