Re: RFC: Storing Automated Tasks/Tests In Dist-Git

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:50:33 -0600
Tim Flink <tflink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the features for Taskotron that we've been planning since the
> beginning was a way for contributors to maintain their own automated
> tasks/tests which would be run during a package's lifecycle.
>
> I'm happy to say that we're almost to this milestone and wanted to get
> some feedback from devel@ on the specifics of what we're planning WRT
> where these automated tasks will be stored and the execution modes
> that we're planning to support. Our current plan is written up at:
>
> https://phab.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/w/taskotron/new_distgit_task_storage_proposal/
>
> The hope is that by making it easier for contributors to write
> automated tasks and making the model completely self-service and
> convention drive, there will be a lot more automated checks for
> packages than we currently have for Fedora.
>
> Please read through the wiki page I mentioned above and give us
> feedback on whether what we're planning to implement is going to be
> useful or if there are areas of the plan which could be improved.

To clarify at the top you have "Seeing as dist-git will be moving to
pagure before long", the plan there is not to move dist-git, but to add
a partial pagure instance in front of it. This would have issues,
permissions, docs, etc all disabled and would basically just be a way
to add a PR workflow. The existing dist-git setup would be still there
exactly the same.

Another alternate here is that we could make taskotron a 'namespace'
like currently rpms/ and docker/ are. Then we would have
perhaps: /taskotron/rpms/foobar/ as the top level and all the rest is
the same. This would get us a seperate pkgdb entry for the taskotron
part of things (ie, it could have different maintainers, people allowed
to commit, etc). That would add to complexity however.

Is there any provision for tests that should be run on _all_
packages? or we would need to link the test into all repos, etc?
I have in mind a test that would get the checksum from the sources file
and see if it could compare it to upstream.

Finally, are the lifecycle points triggered via fedmsg? If so, it would
be nice to have a UPLOAD lifecycle where someone has uploaded a source
to lookaside cache. (The above test would probibly be better at upload
time than sources git commit time, but either could work).

Thanks for working on all this. It's awesome to see it start to come to
fruition!

kevin