Re: Please unpush FEDORA-2016-7776983633 on all releases or drop support for libjasper

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Dodji Seketeli <dodji@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:
>
> [...]
>
>>> At the moment, the ABI changes that are reported do not trigger the
>>> blocking of the build, so we need collaboration from critpath package
>>> maintainers.  Whenever Taskotron says "please review this ABI change",
>>> the review is needed.
>>
>> Perhaps it would make sense to submit a Change for Fedora 26 to get
>> this in front of FESCo and enabled as blocking.  This is at least the
>> 3rd time we've had an incompatible ABI change and given that we have
>> the tools to prevent it, it might be time to do so.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Though, we also need to sort out how maintainers can do to say "I
> reviewed the ABI change, and it's OK" -- a kind of waiving mechanism for
> cases where the ABI change is harmless.

Yes.

> With time, we try to improve libabigail itself so that the number of
> harmless changes that are reported goes toward zero.  There are also
> ways for package maintainers to tell libabigail to avoid showing them
> classes of ABI changes that are deemed harmless; a suppression mechanism
> like what the Valgrind tool has.
>
> But ultimately, I believe maintainers need to be able to waive a
> Taskotron task result that blocks an update.
>
> Do Bodhi hackers have something in their pipeline to address this?

No.  However, bodhi maintenance is changing to a new owner and now
would be a good time to start filing tickets/issues for function adds
like this.  That can also be part of the Change itself, as this would
clearly be classified as a system wide change needing attention from
lots of different parts of the project.

josh