Re: Video performance degradation in F24

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 13:39:30 +0200
"Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 07:34:56AM -0400, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
[snip]
> > Okay, I've found the issue is in Firefox and Totem, but not VLC.
> > So, apparently some form of acceleration is borked but not another
> > (guessing).
>
> I saw similar video performance degradation in firefox. But when I
> switch to full screen view performance is fine. Maybe firefox does
> not use GPU acceleration (vdpau in my case) properly when viewing in
> a window, but does so when in full screen.

If it is related to hardware acceleration, in the development version
of firefox called nightly there is a preference option under
Preferences -> Advanced -> Use hardware acceleration when available.

It might be available to use in the production version.  Worth a look,
at least.

> > There's nothing else going on in the systems - this is an upgrade
> > from F22, so there's not any initialization processes going on.  I
> > did the upgrade weeks ago, anyway.  CPU does spike, but that's
> > normal for this kind of video playback, and it's definitely not
> > maxed-out.

A puzzle indeed.  I too use the radeon driver and have seen no video
degradation.  When videos are playing slowly in firefox here, it is
because the video site is busy and providing video slowly.  I've
noticed that the size of the pipe doesn't really seem to matter
anymore, the sites feed their videos out in dribs and drabs
regardless.  It used to be that they would send the whole video
immediately, no longer.  And youtube will degrade the quality if it
gets too far behind the curve, and delay of play is excessive.

Another thing that can degrade performance on some websites is that
they run really inefficient scripts on the client side.  If you don't
already use one of them, you could try installing noscript or umatrix
to limit the third party usage of your cpu.

I have seen a general performance issue when I compiled a kernel, and
decided to use the new SLOB slab allocater.  When I ran a compile, the
computer became unusable until it was done.  But, if you are running a
stock Fedora kernel, that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Out of ideas, maybe someone else will have a suggestion.