Re: Versioning the Packaging Guidelines

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> There is an ongoing thread in debian-devel on their Standards-Version usage.
> Reading this, it strikes me that Fedora lacks this info.
>
> The basic package lifecycle is that it is reviewed to current standards, and
> after that start lagging from the actual standards. To which extent depends
> on the maintainer.

Correct.  And the lag is really kind of the hard part.  To my
knowledge, there is still no group that actively reviews already
approved package for continued adherence to any version of the
guidelines.  There are good reasons for this, mostly stemming from
lack of review resources to begin with, but that means a review is a
one-time event for the bulk of the packages in Fedora.

> Debian addresses this by actually versioning their guidelines, and tracking
> the last version checked in  the package. There are checklists how to update
> between each version of the standard.
>
> Could we learn anything from this? Fedora is not a rolling distribution, but
> the guidelines are. Would it be a good idea to actually provide versions of
> the guidelines? To track the last version checked in the packages?

I think these are ideas worth discussing, but you should probably
discuss them with the FPC directly.

> If not for anything else., it would certainly make the life of fedora-review
> maintainers easier. That said,  I'm turning a blind eye to the obvious
> technical hassles versioning a wiki.

It wouldn't be that difficult to pull it out of the wiki and into a
pagure.io repo that actually publishes things, etc.  Again a topic of
conversation for the FPC.  I would really suggest opening a ticket
with them.

josh