Re: How to package a Git repository

In DNF CI we use rpm-gitoverlay[0], but due to RPM we have to prepare
archive from git, replace path for %(auto)setup, and some other magic,
so you can't use it as is in Fedora. But you can easily use it with
COPR as you don't have to follow all guidelines.

When I deal with one project I just do: $ rpm-gitoverlay build-package
-n libdnf rpm copr --owner ignatenkobrain --project libdnf
which does everything for me.

[0] https://github.com/ignatenkobrain/rpm-gitoverlay

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to build (S)RPMs directly from a Git repository (which contains
> the .spec file in the top-level directory).  This is for a CI-style project,
> with a quick release cycle.
>
> I have a Lua script fragment which generates a proper SRPM with the mock-scm
> target in COPR, and which is also compatible with “fedpkg srpm”.  But
> rpmbuild strips leading path components from Source: and Patch: references,
> so this only works if all files are in a single directory.
>
> Are there any alternatives that work in COPR, EPEL and Fedora proper?
>
> I think it's strange that I have to put a tarball somewhere just for RPM's
> sake if there is no separate upstream, and there are no upstream releases as
> a result.  It's just an annoyance and yet another step that can go wrong in
> various ways.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian
> --