Re: Suggestion to end support for legacy 1024-bit RSA root CAs in Fedora stable

On Fri, 2016-08-19 at 14:54 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The plan is to apply this change to past releases, too.
>
> I find this discrepancy—okay for past releases, but not okay for
> alpha—somewhat puzzling.  I don't know which direction this should go,
> but let's be consistent, please.

Given that this:
- doesn't have the risk of breaking the operating system,
- but only the small risk that some unidentified software we ship
  might no longer be able to connect to a very small amount of servers,

the alpha release seems like a good opportunity to me to allow for feedback from
users in testing environments.

If we'll get any feedback of nonworking connections, I assume it will be limited
to more exotic software that does SSL/TLS connections
(because OpenSSL + GnuTLS + NSS + glib-networking are known to have been fixed).

If we get any such feedback prior to shipping stable updates for Fedora 23 + 24,
it will give us the chance to work on changes to potentially affected software
(which we currently don't know if any such software exists).

I agree with Florian, if nobody is concerned with the idea to make the change
for stable F23/F24 updates, then we should include it as part of the final F25,
too, and earlier testing is better.

If it cannot become part of F25, then this cleanup would have to be postponed
until after the release of F25, for consistency.

Kai