Re: Suggestion to end support for legacy 1024-bit RSA root CAs in Fedora stable

On 08/19/2016 08:54 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 08/19/2016 02:38 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>>
>>> Then I suggest that we make the change immediately for Fedora 25, to allow it to
>>> be included in the delayed alpha release.
>>>

>> It will absolutely not be accepted as a Freeze Exception. Changes of this scale
>> are far too high-risk and will almost certainly result in another schedule slip.
>
> The plan is to apply this change to past releases, too.
>
> I find this discrepancy—okay for past releases, but not okay for alpha—somewhat
> puzzling.  I don't know which direction this should go, but let's be consistent,
> please.

Applying this to older releases would be a violation of the Stable Updates
Policy[1] (though arguably it could be considered to fall under "The update
fixes a security issue that would affect a large number of users.".

That said, I'm not saying "don't allow this in F25", personally. I'm saying
"don't try to land it in the middle of an already-slipped Freeze". That's a
different situation. I don't want this to potentially cause us to slip another week.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy