Re: glibc subpackage changes

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:56:47 +0200
Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My suspicion at this point is that the past FPC/Fesco guidelines wee
> wrong, and the present tooling restriction is not just about
> rich/Boolean dependencies, but also about weak dependencies.

Could be.

> Zero support for weak dependencies would actually be okay, sort of.
> The problem is that something treats the Recommends: as a Requires:,
> like yum does (bug 1360781).

Yeah, so we have 2 paths here:

1. pungi does the rawhide and branched composes. These are running on
Fedora instances. I think it also uses createrepo_c. These composes do
have the rich/weak/etc deps.

2. bodhi does the updates / updates-testing repos. Currently this is
running on a rhel7 instance. It uses mash and mash uses createrepo
which uses yum. In this case the rich deps actually break the compose
and it won't work with them in the updates set, and weak deps are
likely treated the way yum would since createrepo uses yum.

One short term thing we can try out is moving the bodhi instance to
Fedora24 and see if the newer rpm can handle things better. I'm not
sure if this will work fully, but we can give it a try and see.

If that fails we could possibly wait for the
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KojiSignedRepos
change to finally land, as those will be generated on Fedora builders.

It's unclear to me if we need just a newer rpm or need to switch away
from createrepo. If some folks wanted to do some testing that would be
great. ;) Just make a repo of packages with weak/rich/whatever deps and
build it on rhel7 and fedora24 and see if the correct metadata is
there and then again with createrepo_c.

kevin