Re: [packaging] Needs advice on using ExclusiveArch or ExcludeArch

On 07/08/16 02:02 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> I am currently packaging embree [0] which is required by recent release
>> of LuxRender. The bad news is embree
>> (https://embree.github.io/downloads.html) is only
>> available for 64 bits architectures meaning all others i.e. i686[1] and
>> armv7hl[2] will fail to build.
>>
>> Either i have to use ExclusiveArch or ExcludeArch parameter in spec
>> file. Advice needed.
> This software is clearly x86-only (the required SSE2 does not exist on any
> other architecture) and as such should be ExclusiveArch. Whether you should
> make it ExclusiveArch: x86_64 or whether you should also enable 32-bit x86
> is up for debate. It is the usual issue of upstream not supporting non-SSE2
> CPUs. Fedora i686 packages are supposed to work without SSE2 (in fact,
> without ANY vector instructions, even MMX and SSE), but it is nicer to the
> users to have the software available for some 32-bit x86 CPUs than for none
> at all. But either way, it clearly does not make sense to enumerate all the
> non-x86 architectures in ExcludeArch, ExclusiveArch is the right concept.
>
>         Kevin Kofler
> --
Thank you Kevin for the detailed explanation related to SSE2 support. In
that case, I will use ExclusiveArch.
Igor mentioned it is possible to build embree without that instruction
which is beyond my current skills thus bringing more questions.
Considering the recent LuxRender required embree, won't building without
these instructions set impact such dependancy?

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer