Re: [packaging] Needs advice on using ExclusiveArch or ExcludeArch

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I am currently packaging embree [0] which is required by recent release
> of LuxRender. The bad news is embree
> (https://embree.github.io/downloads.html) is only
> available for 64 bits architectures meaning all others i.e. i686[1] and
> armv7hl[2] will fail to build.
>
> Either i have to use ExclusiveArch or ExcludeArch parameter in spec
> file. Advice needed.

This software is clearly x86-only (the required SSE2 does not exist on any
other architecture) and as such should be ExclusiveArch. Whether you should
make it ExclusiveArch: x86_64 or whether you should also enable 32-bit x86
is up for debate. It is the usual issue of upstream not supporting non-SSE2
CPUs. Fedora i686 packages are supposed to work without SSE2 (in fact,
without ANY vector instructions, even MMX and SSE), but it is nicer to the
users to have the software available for some 32-bit x86 CPUs than for none
at all. But either way, it clearly does not make sense to enumerate all the
non-x86 architectures in ExcludeArch, ExclusiveArch is the right concept.

        Kevin Kofler