Re: RFC: Fixing the "nobody" user?

Lennart Poettering writes:

On Fedora, we currently have a "nobody" user that is defined to UID
99. It's defined unconditionally like this. To my knowledge there's no
actual use of this user at all in Fedora however.

I see distccd running as the nobody user.

I also see dnsmasq running as the nobody user.

It is a very popular pastime to take a listening daemon and chroot-jail it as the nobody user. I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff in Fedora that does this. These are just the ones running on my box.

It's unlikely that changing the nobody uid and gid will have any regressions. However, it's not true that nothing uses nobody. nobody is quite popular.