rpm-ostree 2016.4 now with package layering

rpm-ostree 2016.4:

https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/releases/tag/v2016.4

is now in Bodhi:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2b9342c5cc
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-bfecf6abed

Remember, to try it, you can rebase an existing Atomic Host system using:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing

(Also in our CentOS devel stream: https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic/Devel )

This release has a number of changes, but as the git tag says, I think
the package layering that we have now finally brings into focus
a long-held goal.

Before, the rpm-ostree component of the [Project Atomic](http://www.projectatomic.io/)
effort was - as a downstream user - something that kind of faded into the background
underneath the `atomic host` command line.  We primarily exposed `atomic host {upgrade,rollback}`
and later `deploy`: https://blog.verbum.org/2015/12/15/new-atomic-host-verb-rpm-ostree-deploy/

However, beyond that one's interaction with it as a system consumer was limited.  Now,
containerization has progressed significantly in many areas, but as I mention here:
https://fedorapeople.org/~walters/2016.06-rhsummit-systemcontainers/#/6/1
I think package layering is essentially a better model for "system extensions" or code
that's required to run in the host context.

To repeat, rpm-ostree always said in the `README.md` that it was intending to be
a hybrid package/image system - to bridge the worlds[1] between traditional package
managers and ChromeOS style dm-verity/dual-partition style approaches.  Now
that vision is here.

What we're really building is something that links to both libdnf[2] and libostree,
carrying forwards the parts of RPM that are OK, while having a completely
new implementation for things like filesystem interaction and %post scripts.  librpm isn't
involved in writing to disk, libostree is - and libostree doesn't have bugs around
replacing symlinks with directories or require directory ownership, for example.
We always generate a *new* root on changes which ensures each change
is clean and doesn't carry baggage from previous updates.

Another thing I think is cool is that we use bubblewrap[3] to
run %post scripts, which greatly helps avoid system damage from badly written
scripts, and helps ensure that system changes are under control of rpm-ostree.

At the same time though, we've built up a community of people who are using
rpm-ostree to make custom systems (the "full server side compose" or "I want to
do my own Atomic Host/Chromebook" model), and we will continue to fully support
this as well.

There's a lot more to do - my intention is to continue driving forwards rpm-ostree
in Fedora (and CentOS) as an alternative systems management tool.  At the same
time, we end up sharing a lot of code with dnf, and the teams communicate regularly,
so  things like /etc/yum.repos.d will continue to be fully compatible between the
two.

The package layering implementation ended up finally intersecting the "librpm"
and "libostree" in the code as well - which in turn is going to unlock many features
such as *much* faster server side composes, and others.  So I think it's a great time
to take another look at rpm-ostree and see where we are and where we're going.

[1] https://ostree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/manual/related-projects/
[2] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif/pull/165#issuecomment-231667503
[3] https://github.com/projectatomic/bubblewrap