Re: F25 System Wide Change: KillUserProcesses=yes by default

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 07:32:01AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > = Proposed System Wide Change: KillUserProcesses=yes by default =
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KillUserProcesses_by_default
>> >
>> > Change owner(s):
>> > * Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> > Set the default policy to terminate processes in session scope when
>> > the user logs out. Specifically, systemd-logind's KillUserProcesses
>> > setting, which currently is set to "no" to override the upstream
>> > default, will be removed to follow the upstream default of "yes".
>>
>> We already discussed this idea on this mailing list. It's a *horrible*
>> idea. It breaks screen, nohup processes and all backgrounded tasks,
>
> Right, the next paragraph that you helpfully snipped, talks about
> changing screen to automatically register itself with systemd
> to avoid being killed. So let's discuss the change as proposed,
> with the assumption that we modify common
> run-stuff-in-the-background-on-purpose-style programs so that they
> continue to work as expected.
>
> [...]
>
>> For a larger environment, it still shouldn't be killing the tasks
>> automatically, That's what scheduled nightly reboots, or nightly
>> audits and autokills with user email notifications are for.
>
> That sounds like a much worse solution in every regard — because
> the issue of having to mark processes to be exempt from killing
> is still present, but the process to get rid of unwanted processes
> is asynchronous, heavyweight, nonstandard, and requires a lot of
> admin engagement. But if you have this kind of setup in place, then
> simply set KillUserProcesses=no and carry on.

They're solutions for environments that need to really disconnect and
scrub away dangling users. The scheduled nightly reboots, even
reinstalls of systems left unused for 15 minutes, has been used for
network appliances deployed in public kiosks, student clusters, and
many teaching laboratories for decades.

The nightly cron job to report first, and later slap processes for
disconnected users are ones I've used for lab systems. My favorite
dangling processes to kill have  been lengthy MySQL and Postgresql
queries. I *do not* want to just kill those silently in systemd,
that's the sort of "security feature" that costs people their jobs for
updating to the latest version of an operating system and discovering
something broke normal operations.

> But if you have this kind of setup in place, then
> simply set KillUserProcesses=no and carry on.

Please don't burn the cycles of admins who have better work to do by
braking the expectations and experience of their multi user
environment by introducing what acts a lot like malware.