Re: licensecheck split-off from devscripts-minimal

On Tue 05 Jul 2016 09:12:19 AM CEST Sandro Mani <manisandro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05.07.2016 03:30, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> Hey Sandro,
>>
>> What exactly does licensecheck do? and how is it different to the procject at
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/oslc/  I ask because I would like to have us
>> implement something to check licensing when people upload tarballs to
>> lookaside cache and report when licenses change.
>>
>> Dennis
> Hi Dennis
> licensecheck simply scans files for license headers and prints out the
> detected license for each file (it is used by fedora-review for
> instance). I suppose the perl library introduced with the new
> licensecheck package offers some flexibility for third-party use. I
> don't know oslc, but it doesn't seem to be actively maintained?

Nah, I'd summarize it differently:

licensecheck is a glorified grep
oslc (and https://pagure.io/muster) use proper algorithms and a
"database" of full license texts and headers to provide much better
matching accuracy.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Business System Analyst, PnT DevOps - Brno

PGP: 7B087241