Re: [OT] Tim, Gil, et. al. (e-mail address settings)

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To keep this off-list as much as possible, the rant is here:
>
> http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2016/07/to-gil-tim-fedora-et-al.html
>
> (The blame lies elsewhere. I wish I had the network and social cred to
> get a real movement started, away from the current faceless CA system
> and towards a different identity assurance system that depends on
> actual, existing day-to-day trust relationships.)

Notes from an old, very experienced spam hunter here. (I was part of
the group that went after Canter & Siegel, the first Usenet spammers
and one of the first email spammers.)

Most of the difficulty is with the use of SPF, and the unwillingness
of third-party forwarders to profide "SRS", See
http://www.openspf.org/SRS for an explanation of the problem with
email servers that forward email, without rewriting the "MAIL FROM:"
address so that the forwarding server gets bounce messages, not some
innocent third party whose address was forged by a spammer.

The problem is not going away: companies or large mail servers that
fail to publish SPF records can be flooded by bounce messages for spam
they never sent or allowed to be sent, and can wind up blacklisted
because of forged spam from the relevant domain. And it's been a very
helpful filter for Gmail and many other services:

Anger won't solve the problem. Providing robust SRS and encouraging
its use by domains that forward email, can deal with most of  the
current problems.