Re: Source, symbols and debuginfo for flatpaks/snaps

On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 12:19 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 22:02 +0200, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > When DNF will be able to install flatpack pkgs then we can stop
> > supporting
> > distro packages for that.
>
> One of the things I am working on is making access to sources,
> symbols
> and debuginfo easier for rpm packages as distributed by Fedora. That
> helps users profiling, debugging and tracing the things they run on
> their systems. For some background see:
> https://gnu.wildebeest.org/blog/mjw/2016/02/02/where-are-your-symbols
> -debuginfo-and-sources/
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ParallelInstallableDebuginfo

Flatpak supports something called "extensions", where an app (or a
runtime) can specify extension points which are then optionally there
when running the app. One use of this in flatpak is debuginfo
extensions for the case above (another is locale data). Also, if you
use flatpak-builder to build your app then these are automatically
built for you, similar to how rpm does it (which support for was also
written by me).