Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Murphy writes:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 9:37 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > 4.
>> > [chris@f24m ~]$ sudo btrfs scrub status /
>> > [sudo] password for chris:
>> > scrub status for dbf2e938-1f28-4e93-aa6c-1e193004931b
>> >     scrub started at Fri Jun  3 20:38:15 2016, interrupted after
>> > 00:00:05, not running
>> >     total bytes scrubbed: 2.52GiB with 0 errors
>>

>> The other problem is the journal doesn't contain any hint why there
>> was an interruption.
>>
>> What this incentivizes me to do is just stay logged in, in cases where
>> I probably should log out.
>

> I would think this would incentivize you to put KillUserProcesses back to
> "no".

No because then the user session isn't cleaned up at all; as I
understand it it's due in part to the change in F24 from session bus
to user bus. The desktop dbus session has to get killed in order for
background services using it to know they need to die.

Since I logout and reboot more often than I do drive replacements, I
would leave KillUserProcesses on yes so I stop doing "sudo reboot -f"
to avoid restart delays. And I'll just stay logged in and let whatever
spambots are using my user session to keep on running, perhaps
indefinitely by depending on a lock screen instead.

--
Chris Murphy