F25 Self Contained Change: The GNU C Library version 2.24

= Proposed Self Contained Change: The GNU C Library version 2.24 =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GLIBC224

Change owner(s):
* Carlos O'Donell <carlos AT redhat DOT com>

Switch glibc in Fedora 25 to glibc version 2.24.

== Detailed Description ==
The GNU C Library version 2.24 will be released at the beginning of
August 2016; we have started closely tracking the glibc 2.24
development code in Fedora Rawhide and are addressing any issues as
they arise. Given the present schedule Fedora 24 will branch after the
GLIBC 2.24 upstream release.

In addition, we plan the following packaging changes:
* Split NSS (Name Service Switch) modules into separate RPM
subpackages (#1338889)
* Leave assertions enabled (#1338887)
* Use one program to implement sln and ldconfig (#1315476)
* Provide a libcrypt implementation not based on libfreebl3.so (#1324623)

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Update glibc to 2.24 from tested upstream release.

* Other developers: Aside from Carlos O'Donell <carlos AT redhat DOT
com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer AT redhat DOT com>, Torvald Riegel
<triegel AT redhat DOT com>, Martin Sebor <msebor AT redhat DOT com>,
and Patsy Franklin <pfrankli AT redhat DOT com>, no other developers
are required. These developers need to ensure that rawhide is stable
and ready for the Fedora 24 branch. Given that glibc is backwards
compatible and we have been testing the new glibc in rawhide it should
make very little impact when updated.

* Release engineering: In general coordination with release
engineering is not required. A mass rebuild is not required.

* Policies and guidelines: The policies and guidelines do not need to
be updated.
--
Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager