Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Fri, 27 May 2016, Chris Murphy wrote:

It seems to  me systemd should be able to know the difference between
a program that's zombie or unresponsive but isn't doing anything or is
unresponsive but is doing something; and if not then some way for
programs to say "hey wait just a minute, I need to clean things up" or
whatever, rather than just abruptly killing them.

That invention is otherwise known as "unix signals".

systemd should not be the process police. If there is a systematic
problem of badly written code leaving orphaned code running when
a user logs out, then that broken code should be fixed instead of
adding another layer of process management. systemd is not capable
of interpreting the user's intent.

Paul