Re: Koschei update

On 05/19/2016 12:40 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2016 05:03:51 +0200
> Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Last week Koschei [1] was updated to latest upstream release (1.6.1).
>> The new version comes with one particularly interesting feature -
>> Koschei is now able to track more than one package collection at time,
>> which means that it could be possible to use it for Fedora branches
>> other than just rawhide, for EPEL, or even for side tags in Koji.
>> Currently only rawhide is enabled, but if there's enough interest then
>> it should be possible to enable other targets too.
>
> I think it would be lovely if it were enabled for epel as well.

Since I heard several requests about that, I will try to enable EPEL 7
(in staging for now).  If it goes well then we can think about enabling
EPEL 6 or Fedora branches too.

> Is there any reason these days not to enable it?

There are some complains about Koschei's usage of Koji, so I wanted to
be very careful with that.  But recently, thanks to Ralph Bean, a Koji
feature was implemented [1] that should help mitigating the biggest
problem I heard of.

> Perhaps we could look into just mass enabling it for all packages now?

Perhaps yes, but...

Some people are not interested in Koschei at all.  It has been in
production for almost a year (and a few months more in Fedora cloud),
but less than 1/3 packages are enabled [2]. Maybe it's a problem of
awareness?

I don't think we want to waste resources on rebuilding packages that no
one wants to have in Koschei. Any packager, not only maintainer, can
toggle Koschei flag in pkgdb2, so if someone wants they can just do it.

[1] https://pagure.io/koji/pull-request/77
[2] As of time of wringing this, there are 22,030 packages (including
retired and EPEL-only packages).  6,197 packages are enabled in Koschei.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat