Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/27/2016 09:04 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> On 27/04/16 13:59, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be possible to try a nodejs 6.x build of everything in a
>>> side-tag or something? My understanding (based on the changelog) is
>>> that things should generally work, as while the ABI broke, most of the
>>> API remained the same.
>>
>> The actual set of packages that need to be rebuilt is actually very small - just
>> a dozen or so modules that have binary components.
>>
>> Most modules are pure javascript, which don't need rebuilding and where doing so
>> will often prove nothing as we don't always have tests.
>>
>>> Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of using SCLs to support newer
>>> environments in Fedora. I'd prefer if SCLs were used to support older
>>> ones, with newer ones being the default.
>>
>> Well the question is, will the non-LTS node branch ever work for us given then
>> need to provide 13 months of support - how long is the lifetime of the non-LTS
>> branches?
>>

> From https://github.com/nodejs/LTS#lts_schedule it looks like non-LTS branches
> are maintained for about 9 months, while LTS releases are maintained for 30 months.
>

> So you're probably right; going forward we should probably align Fedora with
> whichever branch is (or will become) the LTS branch for its entire lifetime.
>
> This still leaves us with a choice, because the 4.x branch is officially LTS and
> the 6.x branch will become LTS in October. (In the early phase of the branch, it
> won't break compatibility, but the set of features may grow; that gets locked in
> when it goes LTS).

If the actual package set required to rebuild with nodejs 6 is really
only 14 packages, I would suggest we at least try to do it. Offering
nodejs 6 would be a rather nice feature in our cap, and when nodejs 8
is cut to be LTS, we can transition to that with the corresponding
Fedora release. It looks like Nodejs LTS releases will likely line up
with spring Fedora releases, so in the future, we could plan for that.