Re: iproute package split

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 06:01:14PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of splitting the 'tc' utility off from iproute
> package. The motivation for this comes from two things:
>
> 1) Due to it's xt/ipt action, tc depends on iptables.
> 2) iproute is part of the 'Core' group.
>
> These two in combination lead to iptables being pulled into Core as a
> dependency although not strictly necessary - tc is not necessary for
> basic system functionality and ip itself works fine without.
iptables is also pulled in by systemd (at least), so this is not enough
to get it out of core.

> So far I added a new 'tc' subpackage to iproute.spec which will contain
> tc, all related binaries and configs and relevant man pages. This
> package depends on a version of iproute which is greater than the last
> release before the split, which should prevent conflicts when updating.
>
> For user convenience though, I would appreciate if an iproute package
> update from a pre-split version would automatically pull the tc
> subpackage as well. Is this possible without adding a dependency from
> 'iproute' to 'iproute-tc' (which would defeat the purpose, of course)?
You can use Obsoletes to achieve this. systemd went through a similar
split recently, see
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/systemd.git/commit/?h=f24&id=34bfceffe6cb26f5b5a9bdc5ab9c071eeb40f1c9

Zbyszek