Modularity Objective Status Update (March 11, 2016)

Recently, I have been able to dedicate substantially more of my time to the modularity objective. Red Hat is also dedicating other people to moving the objective forward. Both I and the others expect to be able to continue to dedicate time for the foreseeable future. As a result, I wanted to send out this update about what we have done over the past couple weeks and seek feedback. I also plan to send out these updates regularly, probably monthly, or more often, if we have something specific we would like feedback on.

First off, we have updated the Modularization wiki page[1] on the Fedora wiki with things we know and things we think about modularity. The biggest example being "what is a module."

Next, we are due to review the modularity objective with the Fedora Council on March 14th. As a result, we have put together a new phase proposal[2]. One of the major components is a proposal about restructuring a couple of the working groups. I’d appreciate your comments and feedback on this proposal before we submit it to the Council.

I also started a blog post series on community blog[3]. The first post[4] went out this past Tuesday.

Lastly, we did a Q&A for the Server WG earlier this week. Mizmo did a great writeup[5] and you can also read the "real" logs[6].

Engineering work is starting but we are still getting organized. The next update will include more details about how you can get involved. However, if you have ideas now, please feel free to add user stories[7][8].

Langdon
Fedora Modularity Objective Lead

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularization
[2]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Fedora_Modularization,_Prototype_Phase
[3]: https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/
[4]: https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/modularity-use-case-application-independence/ [5]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/server@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/YKYSF4S64IC5YSHFUOMC4MAKGIXPHCLP/ [6]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/server@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/A4SSV4ADEXYKYNSELOOYATUD7NIXB4LB/
[7]: http://guide.agilealliance.org/guide/user-stories.html
[8]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularization/Planning