Re: [HELP NEEDED] LUA expert to help convert fedora-release %post scripts

On 03/03/2016 05:55 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Stephen Gallagher:

On 03/03/2016 10:22 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

So what I am looking for is someone who is fluent in LUA to help me convert
these scripts over so that they can run entirely under the built-in LUA
interpreter of RPM and eliminate this problem.

I know that the language is spelled “Lua”, not “LUA”.  Not sure if
that's enough qualification.

The fundamental question is whether you want to preserve this script as
a Lua script, for running outside of RPM.  If not, we can
constant-propagate the command line flags into the script and simplify
it somewhat.

The ideal case is for it to be usable by the end-user to change the
Edition (or, more commonly, assign one if it's non-product at the
moment). That said, I'm open to treating that as a nice-to-have and
fixing just the install/upgrade cases right now.

It's possible to maintain two scripts if necessary.  It is what we are
doing for the /etc/localtime update in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
tzdata has a Lua implementation as a %post scriptlet, and glibc
provides a C implementation for use by system administrators.

I asked because a realistic getopt would be fairly involved to
reimplement in pure Lua.  (There must be countless implementations of
that already, but I'm not sure if we want to add another dependency,
or lift an implementation from some wiki page.) The rest of the script
seems quite doable.  I'll take a stab at it later today if no one else
shows up.

Note that the script would have to run under the RPM Lua interpreter,
the plain Lua interpreter does not provide some required functionality
(such as posix.files function).  And you cannot run the script from a
file system path, you have to put it directly into the spec file.

So all the content has to be inline, or we can create a common
script/function and call it multiple times?

We can inline the file at build time using Lua scripting, I think.

You can %include files into spec, and also you can pull scripts contents from a file with -f option to scriptlets, eg %post -f %{SOURCE5}

	- Panu -