Declining package maintenance requests? (Was Re: Large number of packages to be orphaned on Feb 26)

This jumped out at me as particularly worrisome:

On 19 February 2016 at 19:15, Fabio Alessandro Locati
<fabiolocati@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If Christopher will not respond, I can take care of:
[snip]
> Also I can help with the i3 packages as I volounteered few weeks ago and
> have been shot down by Christopher becase "no more help is needed".

My personal opinion is that (with a few possible exceptions, perhaps
critical path, or a subset of that), co-maintainership requests
shouldn't ever be turned down. That's really not in the spirit of
Fedora. Which makes me wonder why, for most packages, we even need
approval from the point of contact when requesting commit access on
packages.

Perhaps we need to have a clear policy on this?

Cheers,
Jonathan