Re: GPG2 as default /usr/bin/gpg

>> > I am opposed to this. If a tool wants/needs to
>> > use v2 it should be using gpg2 not gpg. gpg v1.4.x is still active
>> > upstream and is shipped as gpg so we shouldn't be renaming it.
>>
>> Is there any sense upstream how much longer 1.x will be still
>> supported?
>>
>> I was unaware it was still being maintained, so yeah, seems like a bad
>> idea to change it until it's gone.
>
> AFAIK there are no plans to stop. It can be used in places where gpg2
> and its agent system don't make sense. Development on it has slowed, but
> it gets regular security updates and the occasional new feature.

I seem to remember there was effort a few years ago to try and migrate
everything to v2 but there ended up being a number of specific
usecases that v2 didn't do that v1 did and the effort ended up
migrating a bunch of stuff but not all so v1 stuck around. It might be
useful to document these issues somewhere.

Peter