Re: Unannounced soname bump: libpsl

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:27:30PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > This is the hazard of using %{_libdir}/*.so.* in %files.  Is there any
> > reason why such a syntax should NOT be formally discouraged in the
> > packaging guidelines?
>
> There is: I do not want to have to pointlessly edit my specfile each time
> some soname changes, and waste a failed build (i.e., ultimately MY time).

In other words, you are saving YOUR time at the cost of OTHER PEOPLE's
time. Because, until all the necessary rebuilds are done, EVERYONE
building a package that transitively depends on your package will get a
failed build. With the added "bonus" that noone of the affected people
does know if the soname bump is deliberate or if it was pushed and built
unintentionally.

> The other packages will need to be rebuilt ANYWAY.

And it should be the responsibility of the packager who broke them to
take effort to ensure that they are. IMHO a notification sent to the
devel list before the break happens is a bare minimum. A provenpackager
should just rebuild all the packages himself; and do it in a side tag if
it's expected to take some time.

> They may as well do so
> when the Rawhide broken dependencies report comes in. Rawhide is supposed to
> be a place for development, not something that always works for end users.

Your system breaks it for developers as well.

D.