F24 Self Contained Change: Shenandoah 1.0

= Proposed Self Contained Change: Shenandoah 1.0 =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Shenandoah

Change owner(s):
* Christine H. Flood <chf AT redhat DOT com>
* Roman Kennke <rkennke AT redhat DOT com>

This change aims at adding a very low pause time Garbage
Collection(GC) algorithm named Shenandoah to OpenJDK.

== Detailed Description ==
We have implemented a new GC algorithm called Shenandoah in OpenJDK.
This GC does more of the GC work while the Java threads are running so
we can do less work during the stop the world pause and therefore
minimize the amount of time the Java threads are stopped. This is
targeted at high availability Java applications with large heaps which
are concerned with responsiveness.

== Scope ==
Proposal owners:
* The work is an official OpenJDK project but the OpenJDK committee
have not committed to including it upstream. Including Shenandoah in
Fedora will give us a chance to get early user feedback.
* This is an isolated change activated by a -XX:+UseShenandoahGC flag.
Users who don't choose to activate the change will see no differences.
Users who do activate the flag should see lower pause times on large
heaps.
* We have made some small changes to the Java compiler and Java
runtime system to add read barriers and more extensive write barriers.
The bulk of our changes have been in an isolated directory. All of the
changes are only activated if the -XX:+UseShenandoahGC flag is set.

Other developers: N/A

Release engineering: N/A

Policies and guidelines: N/A
--