Re: DNF pains

Chris Murphy composed on 2016-02-03 15:54 (UTC-0700):

> Felix Miata wrote:
>> Does anyone here agree that each of the three would represent legitimate
>> wishlist bugs, unlikely to be summarily dismissed as wontfix?

> My expectation is that's a lot more work than for dnf to do a better
> estimate and enforcement of free space before starting an upgrade in
> the first place.

Surely that would be most welcome.

> And probably a stronger warning and/or enforcement
> for sane root fs size to grow, at installation time.

Sane for a normal user's installation differs from sane here. Recommended
sizes are vastly different from what will serve the special purposes of
testing specific subsets of a normal system.

> I also think such a staged approach to updates increases the chances
> of a wrecked installation if this sort of staged upgrade is
> interrupted by a crash or power failure.

It goes without saying. Nevertheless, working on UPSes with throwaways and
easy to create/backup/restore little filesystems have their own advantages.
I've been doing this for over a decade, experiencing many power failures here
in the lightning capital of North America, subscribed to the least reliable
power provider I'm aware of in any civilized country. I can't remember the
last time an upgrade process on Mageia or openSUSE was ever destroyed by
power failure, if it ever happended at all. I probably spend as much money on
UPS batteries than I do on PC hardware.

> It's even less atomic of an
> update than what we have now, and is the opposite of the direction
> Fedora wants to go in.

> ...There is actually a very straightforward way to
> get atomic updates now with Btrfs, and doing the update either in a

BTRFS, nor any other filesystem type, is not something I care to include in
my testing processes.

> chroot or container (nspawn or docker) and a rw snapshot. The changes
> happen completely out of tree, so not only is your running system not
> yanked out from under it while you're working, but if it fails for any
> reason the hosed fs trees can just be deleted and the update attempt
> retried. If it works, update fstab and the bootloader configuration to
> now boot the upgraded tree, leaving the old one intact in case the
> reboot goes wrong or there's some regression.

All mine are multiboot installations, so I have ample fallback and option,
without any need for radical surgery on what ain't broke.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/