Re: On packager motivation

On 03/02/16 08:44 -0700, Jerry James wrote:

1. Demotivating packagers

I know a number of companies have experimented with "ownership-free"
models of code development, but they are able to offer incentives that
Fedora cannot offer, such as money and kudos offered in front of
coworkers.  What motivates volunteer packagers to do what they do?
I'd like to hear from a few packagers on this topic.

I want Fedora to be better.

If I send these two provenpackagers a somewhat hostile email, are you
going to blame me?  I have no problem with most provenpackager
changes.  In general, they have an obvious purpose and save me the
work of making the same change myself.  But changes like the ones
above make more work for me, work that could have been avoided if the
provenpackager in question had just bothered to make some attempt, any
attempt, to contact me first.

I don't think that's always realistic to expect.

When a provenpackager is rebuilding *hundreds* of packages at once,
and trying to deal with maybe dozens of build failures, sending emails
to all the package owners and waiting to see if they respond promptly
is not an efficient way to get things fixed. Waiting for a reply adds
a lot of latency, and then you have to context-switch back to a
package you were dealing with a day or two ago. That's impractical
when you have a patch ready to go now and loads more packages to look
at.

Sometimes a provenpackager will make a bad change, and that's
unfortunate, but it happens. Sometimes package owners make bad changes
too! :-)

If I make a bad change to a package please do let me know. If I appear
to change things and walk away it's probably because I've moved on to
look at other packages that also need attention, not just a careless
hit & run. I would expect it's similar for others.