Re: F24 System Wide Change: Change Proposal Name NewRpmDBFormat

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:51:47PM +0100, Jan Zelený wrote:
> On 1. 2. 2016 at 09:59:23, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > May I ask why? Accessing rpm database in a different way than through
> > > librpm API is highly discouraged even now.
> >
> > It's discussed in this thread already.  Please see:
> >
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> > message/QZG6BVLOOYYGLFJQK5RQ5LAPJIL2KMYF/
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > /message/NYEVENDEUVPRMWD7PJM2IJSR54H25SKI/
> >
> > Even if the RPM database is only accessed via librpm, it's still
> > important that the most central database present on every Fedora
> > system is reliable, well-tested and flexible.  Sqlite is a highly
> > regarded piece of software, which runs on billions of Android phones.
>
> Fair enough but that doesn't answer my question. What is the reason for
> copying rpm code in libguestfs instead of using librpm?

I don't have a clear answer on that yet, because I'm still waiting to
find out if the database format will change incompatibly in future.

If it changes incompatibly in future, and if librpm won't maintain
backwards compatibility with old databases, then we'll need to take
snapshots of the librpm code to ensure we can read old RPM databases
out of guests.

Notes:

- I'm not talking about the BDB format - I understand the licensing
  issues which require a clean break.

- I couldn't find a way in the the current librpm code to open the RPM
  database from a different location - obviously required because we
  need to open the database using our own trusted code, *not* the
  guest's untrusted code as was proposed elsewhere in this thread.
  However that's not a reason not to use librpm, since we could add
  APIs to do that.

Rich.