Re: F24 System Wide Change: Change Proposal Name NewRpmDBFormat

On 01/29/2016 05:15 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Monday, January 11, 2016 03:46:27 PM Jan Kurik wrote:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: Change Proposal Name NewRpmDBFormat =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NewRpmDBFormat
>>
>> Change owner(s):
>> * Florian Festi < ffesti AT redhat DOT com >
>>

>> Change format of the RPM Database from Berkeley DB to RPM's own format.
>>
>> == Detailed Description ==
>> The current implementation of the RPM Database is based on Berkeley
>> DB. There are doubts about the its future and level of maintenance. In
>> addition rpm's use of the database has multiple issues on its own. As
>> a result RPM upstream is working to replace the database format with a
>> new implementation.
> How will this work in situations like the builders. Rpm on f23 makes the f24
> chroots. I am guessing that will be mostly ok, the db will just have the old
> format. But what about when we move the builders to f24 and use f24 and rpm
> with the new db format to make rhel 5, 6, 7 and Fedora, 22 and 23 buildroots.
> Is there the potential that things will break horribly?

Yes, there is. So this needs to be managed properly. By setting the
format of those databases or by converting them to the old format. Even
if the builder were not to be able to create the old format you could
still use rpmdb --export from outside the buildroot to get the headers
out of the DB and then use rpmdb --importdb from within to rebuild the
old format.

In general the database format is not as important as one might think as
the header format is what carries the actual data.

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael