Re: F24 System Wide Change: Change Proposal Name NewRpmDBFormat

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 04:53:08PM +0100, Florian Festi wrote:
>> On 01/13/2016 03:07 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Say, for example, that Fedora 24 moves to the new format.  Will Fedora 34
>>> be able to read Fedora 24 RPM databases?
>>
>> Fedora 25 will. Fedora 34 will probably not. If it turns out that
>> reading 10 releases old database is really, really important. We will
>> either keep the bdb support or offer some tools to basically do a rpmdb
>> --exportdb which can be used to create a modern rpm database. Who is
>> maintaining the BDB needed for this in 2021 is not a question I am going
>> to answer, though.
>
> I don't think I was clear.  I understand that for licensing reasons
> BDB is being dropped.  My question relates entirely to this new
> format, and is nothing to do with BDB.
>
> Will the new format be forwards and backwards compatible?

I really hope we do not have to change the format again in the
foreseeable future. At least I can imagine other things to do with my
life than changing the RPM DB format over and over.

> I'm still unclear why you don't just use sqlite 3.

Among other things it is about 2 times lower than the current BDB
implementation.

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael