Re: nss_myhostname as default in Fedora

On Tue, 2016-01-26 at 13:32 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 01/26/2016 09:47 AM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> > >
> > > I still think that, for the default workstation use case,
> > > configuring
> > > a hostname as a mandatory part of installation is
> > > counterproductive.
> > > Would it make sense to improve support for hostname-less
> > > workstations?
> > >   NetworkManager could take hostname=="localhost" or
> > > "localhost.localdomain" to mean that DDNS should be turned off
> > > and the
> > > client ID should be "MAC<digits>" instead of "localhost".Would it
> > > make
> > > sense to teach NetworkManager to skip sending the client ID (or
> > > send
> > > some compatibility value) instead of "localhost"?
> > >
> > It's not mandatory for installation. If your IP address resolves,
> > it uses
> > whatever hostname is returned.  If not, it stays at localhost.  You
> > can
> > manually modify that of course, but you aren't required to.  This
> > works
> > perfectly for me deploying computers with freeipa.  I set up the
> > DHCP
> > server, the installer picks up the right name and freeipa
> > configures
> > correctly.
>
> This is rather awkward for laptops in particular.  It gets a bit
> confusing when my laptop's idea of what it's called varies depending
> on where I am.

The only way to keep a stable, guaranteed hostname is by putting that
into /etc/hostname, regardless of whether it's localhost or something
else.  So in the workstation case, just leaving it as localhost is
fine.

FWIW, NetworkManager will never send "localhost"-type hostnames to the
DHCP server for DDNS, even if you set dhcp-send-hostname=true.

Dan