Re: nss_myhostname as default in Fedora

On 01/22/2016 10:45 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 07:06:26PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 01/21/2016 11:18 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>
>>> PS - There is some other discussion around "mymachines" which seems much more
>>> problematic.  I'd like to just focus on myhostname for now.  The glibc
>>> maintainer has indicated that he wants to wait for mymachines to be resolved,
>>> but it's almost two months now and I don't see that being resolved soon.
>>
>> I still have philosophical objects to myhostname as well.  I find it odd
>> that at one end, we struggle with DNS name space hijacking, but on
>> another end, we do basically the same thing:
>>
>>   <https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2026>
>>
>> The order in nsswitch.conf does not matter (and neither does any non-DNS
>> name resolution mechanism) because if we end up having software which
>> expects that “gateway” resolves to the IP address of the default
>> gateway, we still have an interoperability problem.  And if “gateway” is
>> never intended for name resolution, why synthesize the name at all?
>
> It is intended as a convenient fallback mechanism, and is only supposed
> to have an effect if 'gateway' is not defined in the local DNS (the
> 'domain' or 'search' zones). Would it help if those limitations were
> more explicit, e.g. documented in nss-myhostname(8)?

I understand that the goal is that nss_myhostname will not override
existing names, due to the way the NSS is configured.

What I do not understand is how the the “gateway” name can be useful.
As I tried to explain above, I'm not really worried about nss_myhostname
overriding name resolution, but that software relies on the specific
functionality of the “gateway” name provided by nss_myhostname, but
*this* name is overridden by DNS (with a suitable search path) or
nss_files, so that it no longer resolves to the expected address.

>From my point of view, the fact that software (or the user) cannot know
that “gateway” resolves to the default gateway makes the name pretty
much useless.

What am I missing?

Florian