Re: Should 'dnf install gtk3-devel.i686' work?

On 22 January 2016 at 13:38, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> CentOS 7 does now have a 32-bit version:
>>>
>>> http://seven.centos.org/2015/10/centos-linux-7-32-bit-x86-i386-architecture-released/
>>>

>> While interesting to know, that is a CentOS SIG effort. If you are
>> using RHEL you presumably aren't supported for it, and I'm giving it
>> as an example of the way things are going. In any case I find this
>
> If you're using RHEL, then you'd use RHEL to build for RHEL surely.
> Which means you build on RHEL however it enables you to build 32-bit
> applications.  Sure, you could use Fedora to build for RHEL, but I
> find that baffling in either the mock or the multilib case.  There's
> just no sanity in expecting something built on Fedora multilib to work
> on RHEL except in the simplest of cases.

Indeed. I don't build for RHEL using Fedora. However it would be
unexpected (unprecented?) for Fedora to diverge from RH on handling
multilib, and I expect changes here will show up there eventually,
hence taking an interest in this issue. Fedora I use at home and don't
often have call to build 32bit with (though this would probably be
different if I made use of Wine at all).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk