Re: Should 'dnf install gtk3-devel.i686' work?

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 03:50:03 PM Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> If you're on freshly installed Fedora 23 (x86-64), then
>
>   dnf install gtk3-devel.x86_64
>
> gets you everything you need to compile a simple Gtk3 application[1].
>
> However on the same host if you do:
>
>   dnf install gtk3-devel.i686
>
> then there's a lot missing before you can compile a 32 bit Gtk3
> application[2].  I had to install the following dependencies (found by
> tedious trial-and-error) before I could compile it:
>
>   dnf -y install
> {pango,pixman,zlib,libpng,expat,mesa-libEGL,libX11,libdrm,libxcb,libXau,lib
> Xdamage,libXfixes,libXxf86vm,libXext,mesa-libGL,libXrender,harfbuzz,graphite
> 2,gdk-pixbuf2,atk,cairo-gobject,libXinerama,libXi,libXrandr,libXcursor,libXc
> omposite,wayland,libwayland-client,libxkbcommon,libwayland-cursor,mesa-libwa
> yland-egl,libepoxy,at-spi2-atk,at-spi2-core,dbus,glib2,glibc}-devel.i686
>
> Is this a bug or is it not expected this would work or I am doing it wrong?

I am not really sure that people have tested this use case in years. It would
be interesting to see if yum-deprecated gave you working results. If so then I
would say it is a dnf bug.

However I  really think we need to sit down and rethink multilib. I would like
to start by changing the multilib method to runtime. So you only get runtime
libraries and nothing to build 32 bit apps on 64 bit. For 32 bit building you
should just use mock, docker, systemd-nspawn or something else. It would mean
we need to make and ship a i386 docker base image if we say use docker.

We have dropped most multilib support already. Today s390x has multilib with
s390 and x86_64 multilib with i386.we dropped 32 bit ppc support entirely, we
are working to drop s390 which will leave x86_64 standing all alone. Given
changes in technologies since x86_64 first became a thing I think we sit back
and reevaluate the idea of multilib. Maybe there is better ways to achieve
what we want today

Dennis