Re: Debugging practices and hardened packages

On 19/01/16 10:55, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

Is there a way to tell it to ignore certain core files?

I run parts of the GCC testsuite several times a day, and many of the
tests are expected to call abort() to terminate. I don't want hundreds
of them clogging up my journal, or being stored in ABRT.

If you set RLIMIT_CORE to one byte (yes one, not zero) then the kernel won't send the core to the configured pipe at all.

It's a bit of a hack really - it relies on the fact that when the kernel starts a process to pipe a core dump to it it deliberately sets the limit to one to avoid recursion if that process crashes.

The main problem is that ulimit and most shells builtin limit commands take the core dump size limit in kB or other similar larger units but you can do it with setrlimit using a wrapper program

I actually patch zsh to add a limitcore command that takes bytes as an argument so that I can block coredumps in my development windows as otherwise something like an asan abort tries to write a multi gigabyte coredump to abrt which doesn't end well, or rather doesn't end for a very long time...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/