Re: Debugging practices and hardened packages

On 01/14/2016 07:37 AM, Roman Tsisyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fedora enables hardened builds [1] by default.
> This implies  -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector and -fPIE.
>
> [1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#PIE
>
> How it is supposed to be debugged by upstream developers?

With GDB?

Fedora provides debugging information for most of its packages, and you
can extract them from RPMs and specify “set debug-file-directory” in GDB
to use them, even without installing them.

Note that Fedora also compiles with -fexceptions, which provides
unwinding information despite missing frame pointers.  In general, the
debugging experience is *much* better than on other systems.

> It would be nice to have **at least** a proper backtrace for crashed daemons.
> Even better to have a) coredump b) binary c) debug symbols for this version of binary.
> Otherwise I can't suggest to use such packages for the end users.

coredumpctl works well enough for me.

Florian